This is a post that I’m spreading around the UK community to advertise a tournament with a difference that’ll be occurring in Reading’s Eclectic Games on Sunday 3rd October. There’ll be multiple events going on all day, but the feature format is 15 CARD HIGHLANDER STANDARD and there’s a set of FROM THE VAULT: RELICS to win as well as many more prizes.
The difference is that this is going to be in aid of charity- Action for Children’s annual Byte Night campaign to work against both the symptoms and the root causes of youth homelessness in Britain. This is something that many of us or been affected by, and I am passionate that we can get together as a community to help stop it happening. The ‘main event’ is a sponsored sleep-out by IT and related industry professionals on the streets of Reading in October. This event is just one of the ways of fundraising we are linking in to make sure that we get as much leverage against youth homelessness as we can.
Now for the nitty gritty:
WHAT IT IS
- 15 Card Highlander Standard tournament with the new Scars of Mirrodin set, for awesome prizes (more detail on the format below)
- Other events and formats that will fire as desired:
- Team draft
- Cube draft
- Scars of Mirrodin draft
- Anything else you want!
WHERE AND WHEN
- Eclectic Games, 36 Market Place, Reading, RG1 2DE
- Sunday 3rd October 2010. Doors open 10AM for an 11AM start.
- Scars of Mirrodin Release Event will take place on Saturday the 2nd of October at the same location: doors open 10AM for an 11AM start.
HOW TO GIVE
- Entry for the Highlander tournament will be based on a suggested minimum donation of £15. You may of course give more if you wish.
- All other events where no product is provided will have no entry fee, but we would appreciate a discretionary additional donation of £5/event.
- Booster draft events where product is provided will have a suggested minimum donation of £14.
- Prizes for the main event will begin with a kindly donated FROM THE VAULT: RELICS set from Eclectic Games. If you have any cool foils, boosters, misprints, T-shirts, or anything else you would like to donate, these will go in the pool of prizes for both success in the main event and other prizes like COOLEST PLAY and BEST DECK / BEST TECH.
- You can donate directly through the justgiving page linked above.
15 CARD HIGHLANDER STANDARD FORMAT
- The main format is 15 card Highlander standard. Decks will be constructed from the Standard format (i.e. Zendikar block, Scars of Mirrodin block, and M11).
- The deck size is 15. All decks must be exactly 15 cards.
- An optional sideboard of 3 cards can be used.
- All cards, except for basic lands, are restricted to one copy per deck total.
- The following cards are BANNED: Elixir of Immortality, Hedron Crab, Tome Scour. NOTE: Additional Scars cards may be banned if they involve cheap milling effects. If this is the case I'll make sure that as many as possible know as soon as I can!
- You do not lose the game for having an empty library. You just stop drawing cards.
Contact: David Lyford-Smith / email@example.com / 07800 847 530
TWO IMPORTANT POINTS:
Firstly, please contact me on the details above with queries or to preregister, rather than Eclectic Games directly.
Secondly, please please preregister via email if you are planning on coming ASAP. I just need a list of names for anyone planning to come- it's mostly so we can make sure that we are properly set up for the number of attendees.