Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

First up - Jason will be having a pre-release again this time, so please do come and support it, it's probably advisable to book in advance and reserve a slot in case it's really busy - do so here:

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

Secondly, spoilers are starting, and this set looks pretty sweet theme-wise.

Nothing official yet (expect to see some early tomorrow morning after the Innistrad party at PAX, and spoiler articles start on dailymtg Monday), but there is this blurry Russian video that confirms flashback is returning, and there are some gold cards in the set. It would be an obvious Salvation fake, but the book the cards are on has the same symbol as one of the houses in that theme article, so...

Views: 1664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

dan what date is that? if you mean the 2nd of oct then HELLZ YES

Dan Barrett said:

Do any of you want to draft the Friday of release in the daytime?

I have the day off work for my birthday, you see!

30th September.

(My birthday is 29th - will send you a list of suggested gifts)

stuggle cuddle, teabaggin'?

Dan Barrett said:

30th September.

(My birthday is 29th - will send you a list of suggested gifts)

oh shit the 30th is the last day of my contract. free in the eve though?

i have some gift ideas...

I read in MAROs article that it might be possible to have a double-sided foil in a pack alongside a regular foil.

Tom Reeve said:
SO INTENSE

Dan Barrett said:
Dude: DOUBLE FOILS!

I like the double sided mechanic, but really unsure about this guideline for drafting.  It's going to mean at the beginning of the draft there is a compulsory stage if scanning all of the other packs for double faced cards.  It provides a totally new facet to signalling (i.e. you can now 'reverse signal' to the person passing to you and indeed everyone else on the table), and worst of all it won't be the same online as it is in real life.  To me, this seems like a really sloppy afterthought.

Drafting with Double-Faced Cards

Due to their unique nature, double-faced cards work differently from other cards in Booster Draft.

During a booster draft, double-faced cards are open information that players are neither penalized for revealing nor required to conceal. Players may reveal either face of a double-faced card to other drafters during the draft. A player may take reasonable steps to conceal the identity of a double-faced card if he or she wishes, but is not required to do so. However, players must still remain seated during the draft.

As before, the faces of single-faced Magic cards are not open information, and revealing them or attempting to see them will result in penalties.

As of the release of Innistrad, a player may place a newly drafted card anywhere on or in his or her pile of drafted cards. This is true of all cards, not only double-faced cards or in drafts that include double-faced cards. If desired, a player may start his or her pile of drafted cards with a basic land or checklist card and put any drafted double-faced cards underneath it.

i'm basically going to constantly peek at what my neighbours are drafting and tell judges i'm "looking at the double faced cards"

mechanics that enable easy cheating are probably good ideas

the new liliana looks absolutely busted (and I'm generally skeptical about planeswalkers...)

if this card existed when valakut was a deck, it would have not been a deck

Explain why it's so good. I don't really see it :/

Peter Dun said:

the new liliana looks absolutely busted (and I'm generally skeptical about planeswalkers...)

Being able the have the +1 ability on a 3CC card as opposed to a 5CC card is brutal.

Charlie Grover said:

Explain why it's so good. I don't really see it :/

Peter Dun said:

I don't think I need to explain why it's amazing in an aggro deck, so assuming in a control deck

in control vs aggro

having this on the table forces your opponent to overcommit. you are likely to have more cards in hand, and if your opponent is pressured to NOT play around a wrath effect or be forced to topdeck. at worst, it's an edict + some life, which is fine for 3 mana (compare to jace, which was terrible if you drew a card and then it died due to the loss in tempo).

in control vs control

a fast clock with proliferate that makes your opponent high end cards worse. with a liliana on the table your can easily just keep answers and force your opponent to find an answer whilst having to discard

essentially, for 3 mana you control the tempo of the match

Has anyone been following along with the Innistrad secret email addresses and cryptic messages stuff?

I'm just getting up to speed on it now, in case you are interested in doing the same, a few quick threads to browse:

http://bit.ly/oRdX1E

http://bit.ly/rmcMUH

http://bit.ly/niodLn

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service