Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

Hello,

Just wanted to let you guys know about two events we've scheduled!

National Qualifier - Saturday 9th April

The format is Standard and will be based on Swiss Pairing, the top X (where X is one for each full 8 that enrolled) will be qualified for Nationals! 

The event is being held at Hennessey's (near Aldgate tube station) where we have hired the whole venue especially for the occasion. 

Places are limited and can be bought from the website or from our London shop. Prices are £15 and includes a light buffet lunch and a two booster per person prize pool. There will also be side games. 

London Grand Prix Trial -  Sunday 17th April

The format is Sealed and will be based on Swiss Pairing followed by a top single elimination 

Places are limited and can be bought from the website or from our London shop. Prices are £32 and includes a two booster per person prize pool. 

Tournament begins at 12

Any questions then please give us a ring (0207 928 7220), email us via our contact form (this is going to be revamped in the next version of the site) or pop in and see us (find us)

Tickets available from our website

Best wishes,

The Dark Sphere Team

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a rowdy bunch, I think they knew you were coming and closed in advance :)

Glenn Goldsworthy said:

right then clown shoes - what happened was that me Mills, Tim and Phil went to hamilton hall at liv st and that was closed when we were there due to footy fans.  As for the venue I wouldn't say it was ideal, but I would also guess that this was your first decently sized event and there were a few tething problems but as with anything you learn from the mistakes.

As for the buffet that was not as bad as Dan makes, out I thought it was better than just having fast food for about the same price.

4 slots I q'd

it was actually at the moment we tried to buy our 2nd beer, it was due to Chelsea, the mighty Spurs, Crystal Palace and Milwall all playing at 3 on saturday.

Might I suggest that you look at maybe hiring other venues around liverpool street for competative level events as it was a bit to crampted and you will probably get more players next time.

thanks again for a great event (for me anyway)

FWIW: I didn't think the buffet food was bad, not at all - Just I'd rather not be forced into paying for it if I want to enter your event, as I would rather have spent it on a Subway tbh.

I understand that they have to have make sure there is a minimum spend for them to have the bar open at all, remember that they don't normally open as this area of london is dead, also remember that most magic players play on a very tight budget, I would be suprised if without the food it was worth them opening the pub
There are other ways to satisfy pub management, rather tyan force players to hand over extra cash...
yeah, invite Phill and Jason, they will drink enough to make opening the bar worthwhile :)

You have been known to do your bit...

Gary Lynch said:

yeah, invite Phill and Jason, they will drink enough to make opening the bar worthwhile :)

phil

sexual favours aren't always the way forward but I like your style

I still find it amazing how many people think finding a suitable venue in Central London is easy.

Or that holding a decent sized Magic event, and not make a loss without overcharging the players is peanuts!

It's amusing to see someone else trying.

Phil

as for venue I would happily supply a list of pubs around Liv street that are available for hire on weekends that would be able to accomodate about 40 people without a massive squeeze, I obviously don't know prices.  As I said before I thought for there first major event they did well, but there are definately a few lessons to learn

Bigger, Cheaper, Better organised.

Wonder which will be most important to them...

Glenn Goldsworthy said:

As I said before I thought for there first major event they did well, but there are definately a few lessons to learn

I think it must be said at this point, that save one or two rare exceptions (i.e. pretty much just Milton Keynes), every time I go to a non Games Club Event, anywhere in the UK, it seems crap in comparison. That's even including experienced TO's, not just picking on the new guys here. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service