Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

What do I play?

I'm thinking about GR Tron just because I have most of the cards and it beats Jund (does it?)  Seems better to spend 60 quid on completing that deck over 200+ for Affinity/UW and 500+ for Jund?  Just lose/hope to nut draw vs combo?

Anyone have 2 Karn Liberated and 4 Oblivion Stone they want to trade?

What are you guys going to play at Chesham?

Views: 645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my deck for the ptq season (although will need to buy/borrow most of these cards, anyone willing to do me a good deal?)

URbg Twin with Batterskulls

4 Grim Lavamancer

4 Pestermite

4 Deceiver Exarch

2 Kiki Jiki

4 Splinter Twin

4 Serum Visions

4 Sleight of Hand

3 Dispel

3 Spell Pierce/Izzet Charm

3 Inquisition of Kozilek

4 Misty Rainforest

4 Scalding Tarn

1 Arid Mesa

3 Island

1 Mountain

3 Steam Vents

1 Watery Grave

1 Stomping Ground

2 Cascade Bluffs

2 Sulfur Falls

3 Halimar Depths

SB:

3/4 Spellskite

3/2 Batterskull

1 Dispel

1 Thoughtseize

2 Cyclonic Rift

3 Blood Moon

2/3 Ancient Grudge

Pete do you not think Pyromancer is good any more?

Pete, if you're around and offering opinions, how do you rate:

Storm

Delver-aggro (either just UWR, or UWRbg for Tribal Flames)

Rb burn w/ Bump in the Night

?

Also I may be able to lend you some of the stuff for that deck

I dislike this format, because I feel jund stifles any creativity, and you have to have a deck that beats jund:

I like burn a lot, although I prefer lavamancer to the builds with deathrite shaman, but both are good. With jund cutting finks, they really cannot beat you more than 30% of the time.

UR Combo decks (storm, twin, hive mind). Jund is good against these decks, twin is the only one that can mitigate these issues easily with its sb. I don't think storm is BAD, but I think that twin being able to run lavamancer and batterskull makes it better. Hive mind is the hardest to hate, but has the most dead cards, twin is the best at morphing strategies and most flexible, storm dodges a lot of hate outside of jund g1, but has to face more direct hate in later games. Its up to you to pick which one you prefer....

Delver is not a card you can win a ptq with. The variance on the card is too much, and the payoff is very small. A WU midrange deck or even WUr can be good. It should probably play glen elendra archmages and/or baneslayers, at least in the sb.

BW tokens and GWr boom/bust are very powerful decks ppl seem not to be talking about too....

I think Louis is slyly planning on running GWr boom/bust.  Although I think mostly because it beats GR Tron!

Is Cyclonic Rift better than Into the Roil or Echoing Truth?  Seems like the upside on those two is better than the upside on Rift?  (Courtesy of Ari Lax in http://www.starcitygames.com/article/25299_Modern-Cheat-Sheet.html)  Mr. Lax also wants 3-4 Kiki-Jiki.  Personally I hate Kiki-Jiki because you can't really run him out until t6 at the earliest.  t6 is pretty late in a game of Modern!  I'd really love to watch you playing this deck because I win less often with it than I do with Mono U Delver featuring Venser, Shaper Savant!  I also hate Abrupt Decay.

It feels to me like the deck is a combo deck which gives the opposing deck counterspells (in the form of removal).  All your opponent has to do to make you into a t5 deck is not tap a single land on t3.  Are you fast enough to beat up on Affinity?  There are no other aggro decks to roll.  I'm obviously doing something wrong, I'd love to work out what it is! :)

If goyfs weren't a millon pounds I think I'd be on the if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them plan around about now.

PS What happened to Gitaxian Probe-Meddling Mage-Aether Vial.  I so want that to be good!

I'm hoping to get in a week or so's worth of solid testing before picking a deck, all I really know currently is that playing a gy based strategy seems like a bad idea as it seems hard to catch people unaware with so many lists running deathrite mb.

Yeah I just got beaten up by 4 color gifts but it seems like that deck stacks up really badly versus Deathrite Shaman main deck.

Seems like Affinity and Storm are broadly favored g1 and Affinity is harder (though definitely very possible) to hate out post-board.  I would plump for Affinity but the t2 Lingering Souls plan out of Jund makes that a lot less appealing.  It's fine to face grudge and shatterstorm post-board if you walk all over them g1 but if they have bolt, souls, abrupt decay, inquisition g1 and then add grudge and shatterstorm ... not so much?

Is there a deck that soundly thrashes Jund g1 despite their disruption/versatility/two-for-ones?  RG Tron?

Quite like the look of Reid Duke's 5 color Zoo in the last daily ... http://mtgpulse.com/event/11493#159845 at least it punishes Jund's fetch-shock mana?  Trying to avoid Tarmogoyf decks tho' ...

Decks with good g1 against Jund are RG, Eggs, Vengevine, Storm, Burn, Affinity, Martyr, Tokens

Which Vengevine deck are you talking about? I tried a GBW list and the only deck that I had trouble with was Jund unless I had a nut draw.

Louis Mackie said:

Decks with good g1 against Jund are RG, Eggs, Vengevine, Storm, Burn, Affinity, Martyr, Tokens

Lame, looks like I will only be able to make the Dark Sphere PTQ :(

Feels like selling my set of Geists might be a good idea now then...

re: UWr, my buddies Patrick/Lukas/CJ have this which looks fun.

4 Snapcaster Mage
3 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Vendilion Clique
4 Restoration Angel
1 Baneslayer Angel

4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Mana Leak
3 Cryptic Command
3 Spell Snare

3 Sacred Foundry
3 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
1 Moorland Haunt
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Marsh Flats
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Mystic Gate

Do you have a burn list of any kind Pete? Just need a rough idea of what cards I would need to pick up.

Moorland Haunt with Cryptic Command in a three color deck with no equipment?  Get in that last point of damage!  I wonder if Eiganjo Castle is better in this deck given the six legendary threats?

This burn list won an LCQ at GP Lyon ... http://mtgpulse.com/event/11210#155825

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service