Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

I'm trying to build a cube that will be ridiculously fun to draft.  One way I'm attacking the problem is thinking about what decks are fun to draft or play against in other formats.  Either cubes or Block formats.

I was in an MTGO ZZZ draft where a guy had taken Conqueror's Pledge and Felidar Sovereign and then every Sunspring Expedition, Landbind Ritual, Bold Defense and Narrow Escape he'd seen.  He even made Noble Vestige look alright.  His deck was nearly good enough but not quite.  But I appreciated the effort.  Making games go pretty much to time every time in such a fast format was quite cool.

I really loved my Teachings cube deck on Monday night with Oath of Druids, Simic Sky Swallower, Sundering Titan, Vorosh and Oona (and no other creatures) plus Traumatize, Zombify, Frantic Search, Teachings and Makeshift Mannequin.  Let's just say that the sequence (me) Consult the Necrosages, discard Sundering Titan EOT (he) Persecute naming Blue taking Tidings and 2 other cards leaving lands and one spell (me) Zombify Sundering Titan destroying two of his four lands is what we call ggs.

I really liked drafting WGr aggro in Shards when it all came together (infinite exalted and overpowered two drops plus red removal, basically, with Sledge if you get really lucky).

But a lot of you guys have experience of a lot more formats and cubes than me.  So share your archetypes or cards-to-build-around or ideas on what shouldn't exist in a format.

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about a cube that only contains creatures?
pokecube??

Ben Titmarsh said:
How about a cube that only contains creatures?
dampen thought!
Dampen (let me know if you need a sample decklist, I think I still have an article I wrote about it for practice somewhere on my hard drive).

The Searing Meditation deck that someone drafted at, I think, a Grand Prix. (Here it is! http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Events.aspx?x=mtgevent/gprich...)

The Zubera deck in triple Champions (lots of Zubera and Devouring Rage/Greed and so on.)

UR suspend/storm decks in triple Time Spiral.

Lashdraft in, mainly, triple Mirrodin (Nim Lashers and other Nim, all the 0-1cc artifacts you can find, off-colour spellbombs etc etc, then equipment like Slagwurm Armor and Neurok Hoversail.)

Lightning Rift decks in triple Onslaught.
Good stuff! Will look into these!

I really should have mentioned Rob's Mind's Desire/Empty the Warrens Storm deck that reached the final of our 8 man Teachings cube draft the other day. Never has a Frantic Search been so frantic :)
It sounds like you want to enable combos and narrow/linear archetypes in your cube. Cube is more conducive to some types of these than others. Generally, you want cards that are independently at least functional, so something like storm combo is very difficult to enable without getting too much chaff into the packs for other decks, while reanimator is fairly easy, because the only super narrow cards for that archetype are Entomb, Buried Alive, and maybe Exhume.

Also, size is something you should consider. The most conducive cube size to combo is 360 cards, since then you can guarantee that in an 8-man, your key enablers will be opened by someone.

Some of the more "fun" archetypes in my cube have been:

U: Artifacts w/ Tezzeret and Tinker
B: Monoblack, Reanimator
G: Oath, Natural Order
Multicolor: Glare/Opposition+Tokens, Survival/Nightmare/Squee, 5-color, Wake

That said, I think a cube environment is fun when simple aggro, control, and midrange decks are enabled. It ensures that the diverse tastes of Magic players are met and makes the matches actually feel like... playing Magic. Fortunately, all you need to do to accomplish this is to include good, efficient cards at a variety of mana costs across a variety of functions.
I dont normally like to tell people that they are wrong....but you just plain dont get the point. We have a reasonable cube (mine/warren's) for normal cube drafting...
Oh Charlie. You aren't exactly helpful!

*I* don't get the point, or one of the repliers? In what way does said person not get the point? What information could we give to said person so that point became clear to them? Or is the point not something one can communicate in words but only something one can come to in a zen-like state after many hours of introspective meditation on the nature of cube?

Assuming you mean me, which is not at all clear from your snappy little post, not getting the point is the entire point (pun intended) of this thread! I've made several cubes both online (Pauper, One Drops Only) and offline (Complex Rules Text, Teachings). They have been of varying success (quite cool, pretty bad, pretty much very bad and really great, respectively). But I'm sure there's plenty I don't know about making a cube.

So, what don't I know? Or did I misunderstand your post?

Aside: I'm using cube here to mean 360-720 cards from the history of Magic (or even self-invented) that it's fun to draft rather than "the cube" ... some holy set of 360 cards that are "the" cards to have in a cube draft. Perhaps it's just that we have a difference in terminology? I'm not that interested in making just "great cards cube" as a bunch of folks have that already. Although I did think about making great-but-also-massively-expensive cards cube to use that idea but with a twist that isn't possible if you need to actually buy all the cards.

(Here a few paragraphs on how creative success can only occur if you allow yourself to fail.)

Grr.

That Ginger One said:
I dont normally like to tell people that they are wrong....but you just plain dont get the point. We have a reasonable cube (mine/warren's) for normal cube drafting...
Pretty sure he was replying to Eugene's recommendation for building a normal cube :)

Thomas David Baker said:
Oh Charlie. You aren't exactly helpful!

*I* don't get the point, or one of the repliers? In what way does said person not get the point? What information could we give to said person so that point became clear to them? Or is the point not something one can communicate in words but only something one can come to in a zen-like state after many hours of introspective meditation on the nature of cube?

Assuming you mean me, which is not at all clear from your snappy little post, not getting the point is the entire point (pun intended) of this thread! I've made several cubes both online (Pauper, One Drops Only) and offline (Complex Rules Text, Teachings). They have been of varying success (quite cool, pretty bad, pretty much very bad and really great, respectively). But I'm sure there's plenty I don't know about making a cube.

So, what don't I know? Or did I misunderstand your post?

Aside: I'm using cube here to mean 360-720 cards from the history of Magic (or even self-invented) that it's fun to draft rather than "the cube" ... some holy set of 360 cards that are "the" cards to have in a cube draft. Perhaps it's just that we have a difference in terminology? I'm not that interested in making just "great cards cube" as a bunch of folks have that already. Although I did think about making great-but-also-massively-expensive cards cube to use that idea but with a twist that isn't possible if you need to actually buy all the cards.

(Here a few paragraphs on how creative success can only occur if you allow yourself to fail.)

Grr.

That Ginger One said:
Also calm down dear, it's only the internet!
/me hasn't had enough sleep. Apols.

Plus it was kind of fun to go off on one :)

Didn't mean to derail the discussion. Back to "amazing drafting" with your host, Jhessian Lookout ...
I believe none of u get it that cubes have 8 points. Duh!

Oh any lorwyn Tribal deck is the best draft type btw, depending on what lord u open in the first pack.

That Ginger One said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service