Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

my favourite line:

Nationals provide a good opportunity for many players around the world to experience a large-scale Magic tournament and earn high amounts of Planeswalker Points in a single event

wow! excellent! more planeswalker points, which are dumb in and of themselves.

can anyone find any upside to any of the OP changes made this year?

Views: 807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Glenn, its a very good idea and i wish someone would do it but what club/store would put over 2k (min) on the line for one event? it takes time and balls.... but the rewards are high.

Like many of you, I'll not be participating in any further 'tournaments' and spending my hard-earned money to build competitive decks.

There was never any chance of me qualifying for anything, but that's not the point - before these changes there was always the 'dream' of doing well, and that's what kept many of us in the game and spending money.

Instead, all my time will now be spent on Cube and EDH, and I'll only be spending money on new-set single-cards for both.

In other words, I've gone from spending £200 a month on Magic to spending £200 a year on Magic.

Good business plan there Wizards.

someone buy all my cards plz

Glenn this only works in the US. Other countries just dont have the player base to make it profitable. Last week one store here held a £250 cash tournament and just around 30 players turned up, as this was at a convention its possible that some of these people had bought a 2 day pass so they could play in the GPT for Australia the next day. The other big store just held a £500 in store credit for the winner and they got 24 players. Im pretty sure both of these events lost money and I could see it being exactly the same in the UK.

I know from the UK PTQ scene that if there are not many people who bother to travel for PTQ's then even less would travel for a cash tournament. Lets be honest if there was a UK torunament giving £500 for first and £250  for second, would you travel to it? Even though there were no other prizes cause they used their entire budget on those 2? Would you go even though you knew your chance of making top 2 was pretty slim?

I dont know about other player but I would rather win a PTQ than a tournament that even paid me £2,000 for winning. Thats the selling point of PTQ's, if you win you get something better than money an experience. Same thing applied to Nats. If it was just about money then people would play poker. Taking away that experience takes away a whole reason to travel to events.

Glenn Goldsworthy said:

no I agree it really does benefit them but it does open a door if someone wants to wander through it and start running these type of tourny in europe maybe the UK then it is possible, not sure about the legal side and any other stuff, cost+effort vs reward but might be worth a look for some of the game stores looking to make a national name for themselves
For what it's worth you can qualify for events all over the world on an almost daily basis on Poker Stars.  Clearly not as good a game, but a similar game-theory-intellectual-challenge.

Gary Lynch said:
If it was just about money then people would play poker. Taking away that experience takes away a whole reason to travel to events.

ben i'll be getting back into poker once i've turned my modo collection into bankroll. i used to play on fulltilt, what's the next best thing now? looking for:

sweet registration/deposit incentives

no waiting for ages for tables to fire

very frequent MTT firing

good clean interface

nice rakeback deals

I would much rather get 2 grand cash than win a crappy PTQ!

Gary Lynch said:

I dont know about other player but I would rather win a PTQ than a tournament that even paid me £2,000 for winning.

as I say it take a lot of time to work out the math on how much to charge, venue, prizes but you would need to work at it don't just expect your first tourny run to have 100 people in them, there are many problems with it being run in the UK, you have 2 choices try to make it worth while for as many players as possible (more prizes but less cash for top) which caters more for your local player base but if you have big top end prizes people will travel just look at the big cash tournys (not sure if it's cards or cash)  in France people from here go from here so there is a good chance if the location is good that would work on the reverse.

I have always felt the big issue is advertising, even when I was playing a lot people would call and say you going to a ptq in X tomorrow and I would more often than not say "what there's a ptq tomorrow".

If someone in the UK doesn't offer these pig prizes soon then people will turn away, either to other card games or board games or at worst nothing socal based gaming

SCG's lead time on articles is, I believe, considerably longer than CFB's. I'd expect the first responses on SCG to hit in the next batch.

Dan Barrett said:

Not sure. If anyone was going to cover in detail though, Sadin would ask one of the Pro guys to do it though.

Peter Dun said:

just a thought @DanB: why has noone on SCG written an article about these changes... just on CFB
Poker Stars for sure Phil.. The interface is probably the best I've used.  Tournaments firing at all levels every minute.

Philip Dickinson said:

ben i'll be getting back into poker once i've turned my modo collection into bankroll. i used to play on fulltilt, what's the next best thing now? looking for:

sweet registration/deposit incentives

no waiting for ages for tables to fire

very frequent MTT firing

good clean interface

nice rakeback deals

Ok so I have a question as we are on the subject. Where are the best places to read poker strategy for beginners playing at low levels? Im not a complete n00b but I think i need to start at the begining so I dont miss anything. Also does anyone have any tips for having better self control? I tend to find I get bored and then play hands I shouldnt be playing.

I would prefer stuff thats online so I can read it at work :)

if you think you shouldn't play the hand then you probably shouldn't.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service