Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

I'm currently wokring on the feasability on running a series of events with a significant cash prize and am looking for opinions on the two options detailed below.

Your comments (keep them constructive and on topic) will help to work out whether this type of event should become a regular(ish) part of The Games Club's event calendar.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 1
Format: Standard
Structure: N Rounds of Swiss + Top 8 Playoff
Entre Fee: £20

Option 2
Format: Booster Draft (2 Drafts)
Structure: Draft - 3 Rounds Swiss - Draft - 3 Rounds Swiss + Top 8 Booster Draft Playoff
Entry Fee: £35

Prize Payout (both options)
1st = £250*
2nd = £150*
3rd = £50*
4th = £50*

*Prize Payout will depend on the number of players. The figures above are based on 50 players, 64 players would increase the prize payout to £640 and 32 players would reduce the prize payout to £320.

It is unlikely that there will be any form of product based prizes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Either sounds good, perhaps quarterly? I assume the finalists would be able to split £200 each if they wanted?

More generally, it would be awesome if eventually maybe the starcity series extended to a few European ones, the UK one of course being run by Jason in London!
Sounds like a great idea. I would sway more towards the drafting, but would definitely consider entering the standard event if it goes that way.

You say no product support, but would you be able to arrange promo cards for the top 8 or something? Just an extra incentive.
Only if we can have it so that it's decided by a 5k foot race..
Draft would definitely be my choice. But would they be sanctrioned, and what measures would be taken to avoid cheating? Couple of packs prize is one thing, but a £250 prize is reason enough for someone to cheat.

Hell, if there's money up for grabs my wife might even let me do this on a weekend!
Does the 5k refer to the sanction rating of the event? Clearly it doesnt mean £5000!
Oh I just noticed the dot before the 5k, very clever Jason!
Im fairly certain I would rather have constructed, its very easy to cheat in drafts not being watched (unless you bring in alot of judges, which seems feasible). Also, constructed would probably mean that more players would travel, as in general non-london based players are more keen to play constructed than draft. Which would mean you would make more profit :). And the t4 prizes would be higher.
Heck why limit it? Run a 4-part series of standard, extended, block and draft. Be all things to all men!, (and Tiff).
Dan Barrett said:
I assume the finalists would be able to split £200 each if they wanted?

Fundamentally, I don't have an issue with players agreeing a split, however I wouldn't wan't that to mean that the final isn't then played.
One tournament every 3 months, product/trophy for top rated played at end of year across all 4 categories? Games Club player of the year! Schedule each tourney halfway between set releases so you don't interfere with that revenue stream. If nothing else, it's worth doing for a year to see how popular it is.
Ben Titmarsh said:
You say no product support, but would you be able to arrange promo cards for the top 8 or something? Just an extra incentive.

We certainly wouldn't be able to get any unique promo cards - I could use the WPN promos, but these are widely available, they are unlikely to increase interest.
Ben Titmarsh said:
Does the 5k refer to the sanction rating of the event?

No, I would expect to be able to secure either 24 or 32 K-value for the tournaments.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service