Magic: the Gathering in the UK

Date: Saturday 31st March - 12 noon

Where: Penderel's Oak - High Holborn

Concept:  

* Each participator designs 45 Magic cards in Magic Set Editor format

* Send finished cards to sim.okeeffe@gmail.com

* We print them all out, sleeve them up, and shuffle into boosters

* Draft and enjoy!

Although there was only four of us who did this last time, many onlookers expressed their interest in being part of the next one.

Threads from previous instances:

You Make the Draft I - Initial thread 

You Make the Draft I - Preliminaries

You Make the Draft I - Aftermath (includes link to visual spoiler of all created cards)

You Make the Draft II - Initial thread

You Make the Draft III - Initial thread

You Make the Draft III - Aftermath (includes link to MSE file)

Things we learnt from the previous attempts and loose rules:

• No planeswalkers. Having 8 untested planeswalkers in a draft can be pretty lopsided, especially as people tend not to design simple answer cards as they are dull
  • Super power mythic bombs - try and limit yourself to 1, if you desperately need more, let us know and we can try and accommodate them
  • Cards must have art (designer secret - finding lots of art first inspires lots of ideas for cards!) (DeviantArt is a pretty good resource)
  • Designing heavily linear/parasitic cards, as your 45, that all interact with each other is not really going to work if we get 360 cards total. If you want to do something like this then let everyone know so they can either support your theme or veto it mercilessly
  • Having a theme or design goal would be a great way to help tie different peoples 45 cards together. If you have any suggestions please post them

EDIT: We have chosen "land matters" as a theme, so try and include a smattering of cards that interact with lands in some way.

People who have expressed interest so far:

1. Simon
  2. Tom Baker
  3. Kieran 
  4. Glenn
  5. Andy
  6. Dan
  7. Charlie
  8. Phil
  9. Rebecca

EDIT: Design Skeleton file here: YmtSet.mse-set

Views: 1571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm about halfway done in my notebook - need to dl the program, find art, and finish these off later this week/weekend.

I have R, G and W Wizards too, because I don't follow my own rules.  I have one Zombie tribal card.

Finished in notebook. All being well and the program co-operating, will have these finished Tuesday evening, is there someone who doesn't mind printing them for me. Obv reimburse you with a drink for your trouble.

Tom, will you bring sleeves/backing cards again?

Good news Dan.

I think we will just use the sleeves/lands that I had for the last You Make the Draft (assuming Kieran didn't lose it on Saturday). I bought 400 sleeves, and had about 400 lands, so I might pick up an extra pack of sleeves or two, as they seem to break pretty easily.

Charlie indicated he had a handful of cards done, and will also aim to finish them this week. Andy still has zero done, but is on holiday this week and promised to have them ready for Saturday :-)

With regards to printing, for those that really can't do their own I'm hoping that between Tom and I we can probably cover it. If you are looking for me to print your cards please get them to me asap, as I don't fancy having to stay late on Friday just to do them!

Due to me having to leave early on Saturday, the cards from the last set are currently in the hands of Mills, who promised faithfully to bring them to the event! Also this probably means we'll have an extra player who won't have made any cards, so if anyone has an extra 45 it might be worth doing them. Unless Mills gets on the case and makes his own set of course...

does also include the "get mills to tenerife fund"

aka megaturtle

Is anyone gonna be at the club on Friday so I can give them this? Not sure if I can make it on Sat.

Kieran Symington said:

Due to me having to leave early on Saturday, the cards from the last set are currently in the hands of Mills, who promised faithfully to bring them to the event! Also this probably means we'll have an extra player who won't have made any cards, so if anyone has an extra 45 it might be worth doing them. Unless Mills gets on the case and makes his own set of course...

I can be if needed. What time do you normally get there?

James Mills said:

Is anyone gonna be at the club on Friday so I can give them this? Not sure if I can make it on Sat.

About 7.30pm

Okay if no one else who is going to be there on Saturday is going Friday, then I can just work late (do some last minute printing), and swing by the club to pick up the cube.

Seems odd that no one who is going on Sat will be at the club on Fri.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service