Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

So, what's the plan for this.  I'll either clear out Multiverse or add multiple set capability to it in the next few days.

But let's do some predesign(tm).  What's the plan for this set?

What's the theme?

Update: Multiverse now has the Wedges set in it.  Please do contribute - all are welcome to add cards or just comment on cards created by others!

Views: 959

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Based on Simon's concept ideas, I have a fledgling idea for a WBR mechanic that could fit with the idea of that wedge as a fanatical military power. Basically a kind of ant-exalted where your creatures would get benefits ( getting +1/+1 or abilities like first strike or flying, tapping, pinging etc.) whenever all your creatures attack. You may end up throwing some creatures away, but WBR doesn't really care about the lives of their people as long as they're doing more damage to their enemies.

So is it Sliver like in that it gives it to all your attacking creatures, or just one?

e.g.

Knight of Oros - 1W

Creature - Human Soldier

Fanatical - First Strike (Whenever all your creatures attack, they all gain First Strike until end of turn)

2/1

I think it can probably do either with a wording like "Whenever all creatures you control attack, [do X]". Then it works both for abilities that affect everything at once and ones that just affect the individual creature. So you could also have:

Warcaller of Oros - 2R

Creature - Human Soldier

Fanatical - Whenever all creatures you control attack, target creature can't block this turn.

3/2

ok then that sounds good.

I have an idea for GU (not sure of the 3rd colour) which involves cards based on having more land than your opps, including cards that steal there's

Ah yes, yours is cleaner, and more flexible.

I was thinking about our retro Ravnica draft last weekend and the speed of that format. I think that it was in a bit of a sweet spot, whereby aggro wasn't so good, and creatures were not so efficient that there was time for the games to play out, and for players to recover from a slight stumble at the start. I wonder if we want to try and replicate something like that kind of tempo, or stick to the efficient level of a 'standard cube'?

(I think that multicolour theme will obviously be a little slower than normal due to mana fixing required)

That would have to be URG wedge.

Glenn Goldsworthy said:

ok then that sounds good.

I have an idea for GU (not sure of the 3rd colour) which involves cards based on having more land than your opps, including cards that steal there's

cool I have a few idea's for cards i will get them in on monday

Does this oddly end up encouraging you to have 1 creature in play? Is it better to word it so when you attck with a. Certain number (2 or 3) creatures you get the bonus?

Kieran Symington said:

I think it can probably do either with a wording like "Whenever all creatures you control attack, [do X]". Then it works both for abilities that affect everything at once and ones that just affect the individual creature. So you could also have:

Warcaller of Oros - 2R

Creature - Human Soldier

Fanatical - Whenever all creatures you control attack, target creature can't block this turn.

3/2

Not sure how you work that out, since attacking with a bunch of creatures is surely better than with just one. Especially as you can add more guys after combat.

I'm guessing that the mechanic will be all upside, and that most of the creatures will still be passable if attacking without the bonus. What we want is to encourage the situation where sometimes it will be right to make an attack that will cost you a guy because the 'Fanatical' bonus is good for the others.

My first stab at a mechanic for GUB:

Manaplex X (Whenever you cast a spell you may pay this card's Manaplex cost. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on ~)

Supposed to encourage the use of magic to enhance your creatures.

So a kind of kicker but you only get a +1/+1 counter? Whilst giving creatures multiple 'modes' is good, I do worry that this could be acheived by using kicker since you'd get the same effect but could also add different counters and ETB effects for the extra cost. That or make the counter have some other cost like Unleash.

Simon O'Keeffe said:

My first stab at a mechanic for GUB:

Manaplex X (Whenever you cast a spell you may pay this card's Manaplex cost. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on ~)

Supposed to encourage the use of magic to enhance your creatures.

Hmm, maybe. I guess it is a bit like graft, but it basically gives you multi-kicker on all your non-creature spells (I notice in my example above it works for all spells, supposed to be non-creature). The idea was that you could layer on abilities tied to the +1/+1 counters if required.

Sneaky Sidewinder - UG

Creature - Snake

As long as ~ has a +1/+1 counter, it has "Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, draw a card"

Manaplex 2 (Whenever you cast a non-creature spell you may pay this card's Manaplex cost. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on ~)

1/1

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service