Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

Is it me or is this card just dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb?

WTF.

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is over rated. Not saying it is not a good card but it is not the end of the world.

It is only good against other fair creature decks. Combo couldn't give  a crap about this guy as they just win anyway. Miracles is not bothered about him either as he still dies to Terminus.

You can also counter it before it hits the board.

You can even play Phantasmal Image to copy him if you are playing blue.

Basically the answer is don't play fair creature decks :)

I agree that it's not overpowered in the world of Show and Tell, Emrakul, Griselbrand, Natural Order, Force of Will, etc. There are plenty of ways to beat it. But I do think the following:

1. Games involving it are not fun or interesting. They suddenly become about something very narrow where before they had depth. (See: the game in DC where the guy digs 20 cards deep with Jace and multiple Ancestral Visions to find his 2-of Golgari Charm.) What does it add to Legacy? Why make it U, a Merfolk, and cost 3? Why not make it W and a Kor and cost 5?

2. It is an appalling design in the abstract. "U gets protection from funny things" is no justification at all for giving it a creature with strictly better protection than Progenitus. If that effect belongs anywhere it belongs in W or multicolor.

I really don't know what they were thinking.

I'm sure MaRo once said that blue was supposed to be the "worse" at creatures. If this is in the colour that is supposed to have bad creatures, the other colours should have much better creatures, right? Right?!

Because it is only in the one deck, and commander products are sold as a pack of 5, this will either upset players because the availability is low, or annoy stores as they have to have extra stock that they can't sell as easily (the other decks) just in order to get the one that is in demand. 

Yeah this is a complete "feel bad" card. I dislike playing against it, and I'm sure I'd dislike playing with it too.

This card is so terrible. Definitely one that slipped through without enough oversight. "You know how all tournament players hate Hexproof? Let's print a format-definining, better-than-Hexproof 3/1 just for Legacy?" "ok".

Patrick Sullivan described it as: “Everything Spikes hate about Hexproof combined with everything non-Spikes hate about Moat.” 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service