Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

We are doing this in our Multiverse app:

http://mv.bluebones.net/

(Old shared Google spreadsheet for this is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag7TtjWsLhYkdHBBUHF4RG... )

Channel Fireball just did Top 8 Mechanics:

* Retrace

* Dredge

* Landfall (not for attacking like Steppe Lynx - Grazing Gladehart and Roil Elemental style)

* Scry

* Flashback

* Kicker

* Flying

* Cycling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiNNg5aj-xo

I wonder if we could use that, or some of that, as the basis of You Make the Set 5.  I know that some of you were keen on Landfall.

Not sure when we would play it out but some time in late May probably?

Views: 3904

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

re centaurs I've had a think for a slightly different mechanic:

when ~ attacks reveal the top card of your library, if it is a creature card that shares any creature types with ~ put it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. It has "at the end of combat place this on top of it's owner's library".

Horses travel in herds right?

I like it.  And I like separating Portent from Miracle as much as possible.  Definitely worth testing.

The other approach to Portent is to really scale back on the cards that permanently reveal the top of your library?

The other way to go with Prtent is just to make all the reveals last until end of turn and allow you only to play Portent spells when you could normally play them.

I think those are some of the best cards.  Corrupt Seer, Abortionist, Seerlord of the Blue Tower and Prophet of Doom are all cool and all use that mechanic.  There are others too but I am less sure they are cool :)

We could reword them to "You may look at the top card of your library.  You may reveal the top card of your library." and give that a keyword."

It makes them slightly better.

Aesthetically I'd rather stay away from Miracle territory, though.  That is a mechanic in the current set after all.  And not a particularly great one.

Oh, and I like Paul's centuaur mechanic - green needs a cool rare card and this would certainly fit!

we should make a cycle of lands with portent

me likey

Paul Hodgson said:

when ~ attacks reveal the top card of your library, if it is a creature card that shares any creature types with ~ put it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. It has "at the end of combat place this on top of it's owner's library".

I thought about it. Don't think it is supported by the rules as we have it worded. Lands cannot be 'cast'

ross miles said:

we should make a cycle of lands with portent

We should still do it it's a neat idea.  It can have words rather than the Portent keyword.

Certainly turns Mass Conscription into a pretty ridiculous card :-)

I'm a little unsure about ramming tribal into the set as well. I feel there is a lot going on already. Ideally we would test it both ways and see which feels best and is most fun.

Paul Hodgson said:

I made it tribal so that you couldn't shove an eldrazi on top and then smash in for infinite - if it's just centaurs and warriors it shouldn't be too broken and possibly keywordable?

Simon O'Keeffe said:

Certainly turns Mass Conscription into a pretty ridiculous card :-)

I'm a little unsure about ramming tribal into the set as well. I feel there is a lot going on already. Ideally we would test it both ways and see which feels best and is most fun.

Paul Hodgson said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service