Demonic Tutor Constructed Leagues do not take place at set times. Instead they are played whenever two (or more) players from the league can get together. They are slightly formalized versions of casual games with a bit more at stake.
Here are the rules for Season Four which will be in the Elder Dragon Highlander format.
- Generals will be known from the start of the league.
- Post your general in this thread or send it to email@example.com if you want it to remain secret until others have submitted.
- You may alter your deck (within the rules) at any time between matches.
- Match results should be reported on the dedicated results thread on demonictutor.ning.com
- Matches up to and including Friday 18th December will be included in the points total. You may begin playing as soon as your general is submitted.
- Any number of proxies are allowed. They must be full-size versions of the cards not simply names or altered basic lands. They can be color or black and white. (If you don't have access to a printer and need some proxies let me know.)
- The competition is being played for glory only. There is no entry fee or prizes but Wizards Play Network cards will be awarded for participation. It's 100% upside.
- Matches may contain any number of players (at least 2!) Players may play each other as many times as they like.
- Matches should be played until only one player remains unless a time limit is agreed beforehand. A game may be played to any time limit agreed by all participants (for example, "until Jason announces the draft starting").
- We will try and arrange a four-player game involving the four players with the highest points total at the end of the season. If this isn't possible the final table topper will be declared the winner. The judge's decision is final.
- The competition will use the deck construction and game rules found here: http://www.dragonhighlander.net/rules.php
- In addtion the following cards are outright-banned
not just suggested-banned:
Amulet of Quoz
Contract from Below
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Library of Alexandria
Lion's Eye Diamond
Sway of the Stars
- Additionally, the following cards may not be used as a General
Braids, Cabal Minion
- Mulligans are "Partial Paris" (see http://www.dragonhighlander.net/rules.php
- Points will not be awarded win/lose as in previous constructed leagues but rather according to the rules below.
- Printable version of points awards
- A player claiming a points award must do so before the end of the turn when the condition is met and must indicate to all players that they are claiming the award. Players may also point out points awards for other players. Each award may only be claimed once per game, unless stated otherwise.
: Destroy or Remove all lands in play through spells or abilities. (This penalty is in the spirit of the rule, and not the letter of the rule, effects that would reset the board for all or most of the players at the table will be awarded this penalty. This can be awarded to the same player more than once per pod.)
: Per extra turn taken. Can be awarded more than once.
: Resolve the third spell that’s converted mana cost is the third number in a row. Player A plays Mogg Fanatic (CMC 1) then Vexing Shusher (CMC 2), then Player B resolves Volcanic Fallout (CMC 3) Player B would be awarded this. If Player C then casts Chameleon Colossus, Player C would get an extra point for following this pattern, and each successive spell resolving in an increasing fashion would awarded 1 point.
Better Late Than Never
: First player to resolve the second version of a creature already in play. It must be the exact same card as the first (copies and Clones don’t count).
: Control two creatures whose total power is exactly 21. May be awarded for a specific creature pair only once per pod (A creature that leaves play and comes back is a different creature).
: Have a permanent in play or spell present on the stack from each set of any block. The blocks are Ice Age, Invasion, Kamigawa, Lorwyn-Shadowmoor, Masques, Mirage, Mirrodin, Odyssey, Onslaught, Ravnica, Shards of Alara, Tempest, Time Spiral, Urza. (Basic Lands from those sets do not count.)
: First player to have a spell or permanent copied by an opponent.
: Be the first player to have a card put on top your library from the battlefield, graveyard or the stack by an opponent.
: First player to control two functionally identical non-token creatures with different names. Creatures must have the same power, toughness, converted mana cost and all abilities (such as Grizzly Bears and Balduvian Bears), but not necessarily color (such as Prodigal Sorcerer and Prodigal Pyromancer). This will awarded only when the stack is empty. (Copies and Clones don’t count).
Edge of Disaster
: First player to have fewer than five cards in his or her library.
Enhanced Interrogation Techniques
: Cause a creature to be sent to the Graveyard by means of -1/-1 counters.
: First player to have a creature killed by an opponent. Kill includes destroy, exile, or cause a player to sacrifice the creature. Combat damage doesn’t count. (This can be awarded to multiple people if they all have creatures killed at the same time by the same effect – Wrath of God, Damnation, etc…)
Fourth Times the Charm
: Resolve your General 4 times in a single game from the Command Zone.
: Kill a player with General damage. Can be awarded more than once.
Getting to Basics
: Control at least 7 Basic Lands.
: Intentionally cause an opponent to gain 10+ life in one shot (getting your Beacon of Immortality redirected doesn’t count for you, but for the person who redirected it).
Hey, That’s Mine
: First player to have a permanent stolen (exchanges don’t count).
: Redirect any portion of non combat damage directed at you to another opponent.
I’m Cool Too
: Second player to kill a creature he or she doesn’t control. Kill includes destroy, exile, or cause a player to sacrifice the creature. Combat damage doesn’t count.
I’m Probably Next
: Have the lowest life total, which must be lower than 10 when the first player is killed.
: Deal exactly lethal non-General damage to a player who is at 7 or more life.
Let’s Do That Again
: Save an opponent from taking lethal damage. (This can be through prevention or redirection of damage, whether it be direct or from creatures, or through the use of life gaining spells or abilities. This award can only be earned once per opponent saved, multiple saves of the same opponent by the same person do not count.)
Look at Me
: Last person standing in a pod.
: Have a single creature deal exactly 13 combat damage to a player at once. May be awarded for an individual creature only once per pod. (A creature that leaves play and comes back is a different creature).
: Deal 40+ more damage to a player than is required to kill them.
: Cast the fifth spell on a single stack; cannot be awarded in the same stack as Flamenco Dancer.
Start with the Top
: Destroy or Exile a Sensei’s Divining Top you don’t control.
: Control at least one creature of five consecutive powers (for example, Mogg Fanatic, Jackal Pup, Mogg Flunkies, Ravenous Baloth, Shivan Dragon). This will be awarded only when the stack is empty. This may only be awarded to an individual player once per pod, although it may be awarded to multiple players.
Taste the Rainbow
: Sacrifice five total different creatures in one turn. Of those creatures you must sacrifice a creature for each color of your General. Multicolored creatures can be sacrificed for this, but will have to choose what color they are being sacrificed for.
That Was Rude
: First player to have a spell countered by another player’s spell or ability.
What Goes Around
: Take control of a permanent that an opponent took control of from another opponent.
: Control at least 40 different non-token permanents with the stack empty.
Three’s Not a Crowd
: Resolve three different non-land permanents of three different types on the same turn. This may only be awarded to an individual player once per pod, although it may be awarded to multiple players. (Non-land permanent types are Artifact, Creature, Enchantment, and Planeswalker. Resolving a spell that is any combination of permanent types will count as one or the other, not both. Example: Enigma Sphinx is an Artifact Creature; you must choose whether it will count for your Artifact or your Creature for this award.)
You’re Outta Here
: Kill a player or being directly responsible for a player’s death. There is the obvious – controlling the source of the damage (whether it’s direct or creatures). This also includes, although is not limited to alternate methods, such as controlling the Howling Mine that makes the player deck himself, or redirecting lethal damage to someone. (Player A plays Fireball, Player B Swerves the Fireball to Player C.) This can be awarded more than once to the same player.
: Resolve the third spell that starts with a third consecutive letter, one additional point to a player who continues the chain. For example Player A plays Storm Herd, Player B casts Terminate then Unsummon. Player B gets 3 points. Player C then plays Venser and gets 1 Point. Player B then plays Withered Wretch and gets 1 point. Player D casts Wrath of God, therefore breaking the chain.
: Control five non-token creatures of EXACTLY the same color (five Green creatures, or Green and Red creatures, but not three Green and 2 Green and Red). This will be awarded only when the stack is empty. This may only be awarded to an individual player once per pod, although it may be awarded to multiple players.
: Cast the eighth spell on a single stack, cannot be awarded in the same stack as Salsa Dancer.
: Control five creatures of exactly the same color(s) in five consecutive powers. This will be awarded only when the stack is empty. This may only be awarded to an individual player once per pod, although it may be awarded to multiple players.
: Control a Land, Creature, Enchantment, Artifact, and Planeswalker, while having both a Sorcery and an Instant present on the stack.