Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

You Make the Draft Set Draft - Tuesday June 8th - Sign Up Now

Edit: See the cards from the draft

Where: County Hotel
When: Tuesday June 8th 7pm
What: See Below

* You design and submit 45 Magic cards in Magic Set Editor format by Sunday 6th June (9 days from now) to bakert@gmail.com
* I print and sleeve them.
* On Tuesday 8th evening we draft them.
* What can possibly go wrong?

To participate in the draft you need to commit to creating 45 cards for the 6th June deadline and to be at the County on Tuesday 8th.

1. Thomas David Baker
2. Ben Titmarsh
2. Gary Lynch
3. Simon O'Keefe
4. Kieran Symington
5. Rik Powell
6. Thom Richardson
7. Dan Barrett
8. Rob Stanjer

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Similar-I'm definitely in for next month.
Hey Rik Powell would like to do this. He will sign up soon to Demonic Tutor.
JFDI!

Have put him in in gray until he shows up here properly!
This sounds awesome count me in.
Would be really good to get an eighth for this. Anyone?
Yea go on then, something to do in lunch hours at work!

Thomas David Baker said:
Would be really good to get an eighth for this. Anyone?
Guys, sorry but I gotta drop from this. Just looked at the dates and i'll be on holiday.
At least you looked now :)

Looking for a number 8 then. Anyone interested?

Ben Titmarsh said:
Guys, sorry but I gotta drop from this. Just looked at the dates and i'll be on holiday.
How are we all doing, by the way?

I have done 45 cards (no art). I have 12 Creatures including 7 Wizards; 5 Artifacts; 15 Instants; 5 Sorceries; 1 Aura, 3 Enchantments, 1 Land. My remaining 5 cards will almost certainly be creatures and I may cut some Instants for Creatures. My cards generally care a little about the top of your library. I have 3 color fixers and several multicolor cards. I have 6 cards that cost 6 or more. I have 13 cards with a converted mana cost of 1. Some of my cards care about the graveyard.
I think I'm up to about 42 so far. Once you get everyone's in you should do a Rosewater style "spoiler" where you give out teasers that only contain partial information about cards that make them seem awesome but which actually turn out to be awful.

Thomas David Baker said:

I have done 45 cards (no art). I have 12 Creatures including 7 Wizards; 5 Artifacts; 15 Instants; 5 Sorceries; 1 Aura, 3 Enchantments, 1 Land. My remaining 5 cards will almost certainly be creatures and I may cut some Instants for Creatures. My cards generally care a little about the top of your library. I have 3 color fixers and several multicolor cards. I have 6 cards that cost 6 or more. I have 13 cards with a converted mana cost of 1. Some of my cards care about the graveyard.
I've done 0 so far, will do them in my lunch hours at work.

like Kieran's "Rosewater" idea and your descriptions thus far Tom, it's vague but enough to help get some cohesion.
Thomas David Baker said:

I have about 30-35, all with art. In fact I've kind of taken a top-down (I think that is right) design approach by sourcing a lot of art and then designing cards to fit. That accounts for about 70% of my designs, the rest are cards that I've had in my head or seem cool. I have no real theme or creature type cohesiveness yet, but a good colour balance, and creature/spell balance. I think my mana curve may need some work. Also many of my designs are actually fairly simple, not complicated or super splashy in some ways. There are also a few cards in there for some of you (Ben and Tom had one each that they should smile at).

Slight tangent:
I did find in an old Apprentice folder some decks from a set I made aeons back, but unfortunately the set file wasn't there so all their text was blank, I have just the names to go on.

It was enough to remind me my major themes which I think went like this:

Harmonic X: This permanent gains some rules text if there are X total permanents of its type in play under your control

So basically a Threshold for in play. Proved very tough to balance if I remember rightly, but opened up possibilities to really snowball.

Imbue: Discard an appropriate coloured card as an additional cost to cast for some effect

So basically an Imprint kind of mechanic, but this set was all designed circa Onslaught block. I even had a notebook that had loads of card designs in, but that has long been consigned to the sands of time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service