Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

On the plane of ~, mana is split into 5 factions, one of each colour. Mages of each faction have started to secretly delve into enemy coloured magic, unknown to the rest of their faction.

White cards will either be mono white, white with bonuses for the enemy coloured magic(enemy colour cycling, kicker, flashback, affinity for enemy coloured lands), or not even white at all, depending on how much they have taken on their enemy coloured magic. The same is true for the other colours.

301 card set.

Need ideas for cards, or even just concept/flavour :D

If I ever manage to finish it without getting bored, I could print it out and we could draft it if anyone is interested :D

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exiled Battlefield 2WB
Enchantment

Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1
If Exiled battlefield is exiled from the battlefield, return Exiled Battlefield from exile to the battlefield under target players control.
1: Exile Exiled Battlefield from the battlefield

/joke
im glad you put joke, or bernstein mightve flamed you for being stupid :D

Mark Walker said:
Exiled Battlefield 2WB

Creatures your opponents control get -1/-1
If Exiled battlefield is exiled from the battlefield, return Exiled Battlefield from exile to the battlefield under target players control.
1: Exile Exiled Battlefield from the battlefield

/joke
Samite "healer"
1W
Leonin Cleric
1/1
T: Prevent the next one damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn. If you control more mountains than nonmountain lands, deal one damage instead.
Common
I need 5 names for mono coloured legends representing their colour.
Need up to two new keywords, and some rares :(
nice
Roque Martire said:

This was the original
Honestly, this is a little bit of a mess right now. I'm unsure of how this set is panning out. There are far too many ideas that aren't following what the set is about and on top of that I don't think what the set is about has a clear definition. If you are planning to make a set, define what you want the themes of the set to be. From what I can tell you want the set to be based on wedge colours? You say that it is monocolours delving into enemy colours, do you mean actual enemy colours (So white with black and red) or do you mean colours that are not theirs? Do you want a heavy multicoloured set? Or have the odd multicoloured card witha heavier focus on monocoloured cards caring about enemy colours? Are you basically looking to make Shard of Alara with wedges instead?

Also if you are making a set to draft with rather than just for the fun of it, I would seriously consider making a custom cube. The problem with making a set and printing it to draft is that you need to print a lot of commons/uncommons. I suppose you could Rotisserie Draft it.

I've made a custom cube and It really is more fun than making a custom set. For starters you get to make more rares which really is where you can be more creative and that you don't have to stick to a particular theme. You also don't need to print multiples of cards and you don't need to sort the cards everytime into common/unc/rare.

If you plan to make a set as a community, rather than by yourself, the best way to do so would be to have someone be the 'Organiser' and set a task each week/3days/day (whichever you think is appropriate) and then vote on them. (Can these forums do polls? I'm sure they must?) Over at MTG Salvation I started a 'We make the Set' using this method and we have a complete set and working on finishing the block.

I'll be happy to contribute ideas when I have a better idea of themes, I have hundreds of cards I've designed on file and can tweak them when appropriate or just come up with new ones.

Wall o text'd but this is something I have some experience in and I hope that this post helps you.
Interesting stuff Nicolo. I don't speak for Rob but I've chatted with him a bit about this set. I think he is using this thread for ideas while retaining final editorial control over everything himself. He has a Magic Set Editor file that is the final arbiter of what is in the set and what is not. If anything it suffers from being too cohesive/on theme rather than anything else. But it's hard to tell that just from reading this thread!

A true community-built set is a very interesting idea. I had a snoop around Salvation and found this post of yours that contains one of the sets you are talking about:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=114419

Very nice! I like Formation. Have you played much with it or is the point of it the invention of the cards not playing with it after?

Re: organization. Was it entirely built from suggestions/discussions/polls from MTGS? Or were you or someone else a benevolent dictator who made the hard decisions?

I don't want to hijack Rob's thread but this does give me an idea. We could do something interesting like set some general rules on colors, types, etc. and have everyone invent 10 cards and print them out. Then we could get together and cube draft them without anyone having seen the whole set. Could be terrible, but could be fun! Anyone up for that?
Thomas David Baker said:
Re: organization. Was it entirely built from suggestions/discussions/polls from MTGS? Or were you or someone else a benevolent dictator who made the hard decisions?

Basically it worked like this:

Every round I posted a task e.g:

Make a white common creature with formation.

then people posted their ideas and we voted on them next round.

It was all decided like this, I didn't have an overruling vote. We did start having to ban certain CMC's and rarities as the set developed, but the set worked pretty well in the end. Once we had all the cards a small team touched up a few cards and fixed them. I'm pretty sure they ended up playtesting them too. I left the set about 70 rounds in... took a lot of time and effort to host it and I had other things to do at the time. I passed it on to some other members and they've kept it going. I still submit a card every now and then.

As for your custom cube idea, you would all have to make 45 cards each for it to work. Depending when you do this I might be up for travelling to london, I already have the cards printed!
Oh.. and and idea that I think shows off the monocolour using enemy colours for more power:

1R
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+0 until end of turn. If W or U was spent to play ~, that creature gains flying until end of turn.

This could easily be made into a cycle, and should make for good cards for limited play.
I already have most of the set done, i just need a few rares.

Nicolo Graziano said:
Oh.. and and idea that I think shows off the monocolour using enemy colours for more power:

1R
Instant
Target creature gets +3/+0 until end of turn. If W or U was spent to play ~, that creature gains flying until end of turn.

This could easily be made into a cycle, and should make for good cards for limited play.
What gaps do you have? I'm sure I could post some rares when I know what you need.

Amidu said:
I already have most of the set done, i just need a few rares.

Nicolo Graziano said:

1R
Instant

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service