Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

Rebels, Faeries, Imperiosaur, Dampen Thought, Storm, Giants, Goblins, Tokens, Narcomeba+Bridge from Below, +1/+1 counters, -1/-1 counters, charge counters and time counters.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/modern-masters-spoiler.html

Modern Masters is shaping up to be the limited format of Kieran's dreams!

Views: 1298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Given that Nick is doing £20 drafts with the same prize support it does feel like exploiting your audience somewhat.

Dan Barrett said:

I don't blame Jason or Mike for this, they are doing what they can with what is available I am sure, but £30 drafts and nothing on this Saturday for release is SO disappointing. :(

are the prizes for Jason's modern masters or dragon maze, that would make a difference, to be honest it doesn't much matter as they will get people paying £30 so charge it (that seems to be wizards approach and is working)

Paul Hodgson said:

Given that Nick is doing £20 drafts with the same prize support it does feel like exploiting your audience somewhat.

Dan Barrett said:

I don't blame Jason or Mike for this, they are doing what they can with what is available I am sure, but £30 drafts and nothing on this Saturday for release is SO disappointing. :(

Dragons maze, same prize breakdown as a regular FNM or Tuesday evening, with the added bonus of being able to change your free FNM draft (if you're the winner) into a MM booster.

Glenn Goldsworthy said:

are the prizes for Jason's modern masters or dragon maze, that would make a difference, to be honest it doesn't much matter as they will get people paying £30 so charge it (that seems to be wizards approach and is working)

Paul Hodgson said:

Dan Barrett said:

the problem is if they charge 30 and people still play it doesn't matter, if nobody plays then they will look at it, same with when they pumped the prices up last year, yes it's a lot of money but not so much as to deter players.  Your other options are buying a box between you and drafting it or use tom's proxied one

I'm not sure how many takers they'll get for £30 MM drafts - especially as other places are offering releases for less money. The last few times I've been to a Games Club weekend event there has been almost nobody there and I suspect the main reason is the price compared to similar events within easy travel distance. I don't think continuing to offer the most expensive events is going to reclaim their dwindling player base.

very true I am still sure you will get 8 or so people, the issue is always does the cost of travel to other events make them cheaper still?

Kieran Symington said:

I'm not sure how many takers they'll get for £30 MM drafts - especially as other places are offering releases for less money. The last few times I've been to a Games Club weekend event there has been almost nobody there and I suspect the main reason is the price compared to similar events within easy travel distance. I don't think continuing to offer the most expensive events is going to reclaim their dwindling player base.

I don't think there's anyway you can travel to one of the other events from Central London and come out ahead compared to just paying the Games Club price.  Of course if you are local it's a no brainer.

I'll probably play on Friday unless someone convinces me I should be making a moral stand about these prices.

Definitely going to proxy it up whether I play the real drafts or not.

At Madhouse prices a booster is 10 GBP (sold out).  So 30 quid drafts is actually free prizes compared to buying the product direct from Mike.  eBay UK boxes have being selling at 200 quid and up (8.50-10 per booster).

Re: dwindling player base.  Is that really so?  Does Dark Sphere/elsewehre get lots of people or is it just a case that less people show up in total these days?

Actually some from overseas have gone for more like 180 (7.50 a booster) but not sure how much you want a box shipped from Hong Kong or Cyprus.

I am still trying to decide if I want to draft this at the weekend. The set looks pretty good and I think it might be fun but the cost puts me off.

No way I would draft it at UK prices, stores here are offering draft for $35 (17.50 pounds). No MM prizes though but the winner of the draft gets a free pre release.

Still even at $35 its expensive and I can see me getting nothing of value. Despite the good cards in the set there is still a lot of chaff.

So what are the cards that are worth money then, I can't find a website with prices so am not sure

The prices of commons and uncommons will probably move because of the reprints but here are some cards that are currently expensive for their rarity that are in the set:

Tarmogoyf 82.5
Dark Confidant 45.82
Vendilion Clique 39.19
Sword of Fire and Ice 25.7
Elspeth, Knight-Errant 23.45
Doubling Season 21.99
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker 20.76
Cryptic Command 20.45
Sword of Light and Shadow 18.85
Arcbound Ravager 17.15
Pact of Negation 15.24
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner 14.99