Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

anyone any ideas of when this is as I have to book time off work, I have heard it is in Sheffield (terrible choice by the way), but surely they should have sorted a date and venue before the qualifiers start?

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

towns that suck in a hat and here we go, also I am quite sure they wouldn't.  There decisions regarding the UK magic scene over the years have been nothing short of stupid

If they can get away with ignoring peoples opinions they will.

How best to change this?

Jason Savage said:

Really Phil? WOTC will never explain!

The best way to change opinion is for a large number of people to just not go, but seeing as we are all physically addicted, I don't see that being a realistic possibility. 

Also, while I am a little wary of Sheffield, I could definitely see it still being a lot of fun, assuming all my friends are there, which is the most important thing to me.

Maybe you could corner someone at Nats, and give them your opinions?

Dan Barrett said:

The best way to change opinion is for a large number of people to just not go, but seeing as we are all physically addicted, I don't see that being a realistic possibility. 

From what I can gather through various conversations, TOs have to tender a proposal to WOTC, detailing the venue, transport links, schedule of events, duration of tournament, cost etc. If WOTC like the proposal, and the price is right, then they'll pick it.

The TO's are basically bidding against each other in order to land the event, and WOTC are playing them off against each other, although the actual selection criteria are probably quite opaque to everyone who is bidding.

I don't know if TOs have access to WOTC's demographic data, as that would help to explain the choice of location - i.e. average distance from event location for an arbitrary percentage of GB magic players may be a criteria.

Anyways, I'll be going to Sheffield, it's not a complete PITA to get to, although not quite as easy as somewhere like Manchester, Leeds or York would be.

Its not really that unreasonable to think that Nats should be up North this year, considering its been Brighton and London the last 2. It is only a 2 hour train out of London ffs.

Also the town is actually not that bad.  Hostels are normal, drinks are cheap, and the girls are....Northern  whats not to like? 

The main thing which was bad about the NEC was that it wasn't near anything. Simply getting food was very time consuming.

Brighton and London were both good venues because they're near stuff.

Isn't that really the most important factor when evaluating a venue for nats? (taking "enough playspace" as a given).

It doesn't matter that much if it's an extra hour or two to get there, if you don't then have to spend very much time travellling around when you're there.

anyone else remember when nats was at donnington park? 2005 i think it was? who the fuck came up with that idea

also lots of people seem to be acting like real children with some kind of fucked up sense of entitlement that nats "should" be in london. if you are one of those people then you need to grow up

Yeah nec sucked and I didn't go to dinington based on location at the time.

Sheffield doesn't seem that bad to me. Count yourself lucky. In new Zealand some players have to travel 6 hours to get to nats. I'm sure its just as bad in the us too.
It really depends on where in Sheffield it is, if it's out of town then it will be shit, I don't have a problem with them moving it around each year, they just need to make sure that there is stuff for people to do, hotels in the area, good train connections etc, as Phil said that was the worst idea for a venue but right near the train station was obviously the sales pitch

I must have missed these coments, could you highlight them for me?

Philip Dickinson said:

also lots of people seem to be acting like real children with some kind of fucked up sense of entitlement that nats "should" be in london. if you are one of those people then you need to grow up

I meant the good Phil, who said

"anyone else remember when nats was at donnington park"

As I say not London just somewhere that is a good time

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service