Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

Any one else look at the rest of the set and think meh?

They previewed a couple of good cards last week but the rest of the set seems pretty unexciting.

I also dont like how much they are pushing milling, you know you will always get paired against the 1 person playing that deck and have no answers :(

What are everyones thoughts on Sorin? Is B/W tokens really going to be a deck? Seems like the deck that Conly woods just won a GP with would own tokens pretty hard.

I know if I open any Sorins they are getting traded for Snapcasters. I have drafted once a week from when  Innistrad came out plus a couple of other events and bought a box and I still only have 1 :(

Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why do you all seem to expect to come out with a profit/cards you can sell on for a significant fraction of the price of entry?

is £11 for ~3 hours of fun at FNM (or £12/13 for a regular draft) not enough for you? It compares very favourably to something like a film at the cinema (especially in London, and the IMAX), do you not treat Magic as something where you are willing to pay money for "an amount" of enjoyable time?

I don't even have to pay £11 this week /win!!

Yea, really. I won two in a row and got a snappy and a booster pack for my last one, so I can't complain on the value front, but even if I'd paid for all of those I'd still be fine with it.

James Mills said:

I don't even have to pay £11 this week /win!!

it's not just £13 though is it as it's a social game you end up spending more on a few drinks some foo, tube tickets etc, thats between 20 and 30 a week before you factor in weekends thats a fair chunk of most peoples spare income, as for the cinema that is slightly different as mostly you will go with your partner so that is something other than investment of money

i don't have the patience to concede an entire evening plus the cost of a draft/petrol/etc to draft a set that i don't think is very good especially when the cards i am opening are functionally worthless. back when i'd draft, say,  mirrodin or kamigawa literally all of these concerns were gone (drafts cost half as much, i'd play in a really nice venue, the formats were excellent, the value of cards in each set was more evenly distributed, etc).

its this accumulation of small deterrents that make it an unattractive prospect. like, i'd go if it was vintage; i'd probably go if i lived nearby; and maaaaybe i'd go if it was cheaper, but everything combined makes it unappealing

edit: another big factor that dissuades me from drafting any more is that standard has been a total fucking joke for the last few years. the occasional draft used to be a good way to supplement your standard card pool and get in some good trades - now that standard is not worth playing for me i lose another motivating factor. on that note will someone please buy all my cards plzzz

I think this Standard format is one of the better ones. There is no clear best deck and if you look at the GP the decks that came first and second were not what was expected. If people didnt like Caw dominated standard they should love current standard.

Also Innistrad is a great set for limited, so I dont know why you wouldnt want to draft it.

I do agree that card prices suck now. I would rather have a lot of cards worth a bit than 3 that are worth loads and the rest nothing.

Drafts may cost more than Mirrodin but most people that were playing then are earning more too, I do see that magic has increased at a higher rate than the general wage though.

I will buy all your cards from you, but as magic sucks I wont pay much :)

I have to add that I can't see where you are coming from too. From my perspective, drafting Innistrad is one of the most interesting draft formats in years, and the Standard environment is great; best I've played in since Time Spiral // Ravnica (which I loved).

What's with all the negativity. £13 isn't a lot for an evening out, and if you want to buy drinks and stuff, that's up to you, it's hardly necessary. Meh, it's the same old argument though, people have had this argument since Ice Age.

I really love drafting Innistrad.  I don't care about Constructed.  I've been doing $10 drafts for months with the set.  I always hate Standard and even I have to say that this Standard might have actually been pretty good.  Sadly, I have only played Kibler's UB and RB Infect decks and a Birthing Pod monstrosity all of which were pretty bad, especially in my hands.  I think Dark Ascension looks great.  I haven't been looking forward to a set this much since Shards of Alara (my first prerelease).  I think any set probably looks pretty irrelevant from the perspective of an Eternal player - there's only ever going to be a few relevant cards.  Draft is the best format.  Drafts are better value than beer.  Anyone in Magic for the possibility of +EV needs to step back a little further when considering EV.  Here endeth the lesson.

$10 drafts. Must be nice.

Im only looking forward to the new set for draft purposes, should shake things up a bit.

I dont get to drink and draft now so that helps the budget.

i guess i just dont understand what it is about the draft format that people like so much. there's little removal, the bombs are very swingy and its difficult to move between archetypes. 

i haven't played this standard in a couple of months, and maybe the fact that it's only got one set of this block at the moment is a factor - i'll withold from judging it too harshly until it develops with the new set i guess. (i do of course love that blue aggro is the best deck in the format right now lol)

I do get where Phil is coming from although the set might be fun to draft the increase in cost vs the amount of cards worth any money is just not good enough (think back a few sets and you would have maybe 15 or 20 cards worth about/over £5 now you have what 5), as for standard the cost of putting together a standard deck is getting out of hand at the moment.

Crispin as previously stated it is by no means just £13 it is often upwards of £25 as travel is getting more expensive as well

Yeah but the travel costs are constant across any activity in London, so not a factor when judged against other going-out activities. Also, travel has gone up, but is still nowhere close to £12 for two journeys (in and out) on the tube. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service