Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

good folks

1st - anyone up for some nats testing around the liverpool street area either at lunch or after work?

2nd - anyone got a list of the top decks in standard at the mo, I have proxied up so far (jund, white weenie and boros) but am not sure what else is a tier 1 deck.

3rd does anyone know where I can find a list for the polymorph Iona deck thats going about

thanks in advance

Glenn

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

to put this into perspective I was speaking to Gary recently and he suggested he should pop down to colchester and rinse events down there as there wasn't any good players, I then pointed out that at the time we had 2 national champs (rich moore and Dan Gardner) and 1 of our top pro players (mark Glenister). It is a preconception that all the top players are from London, it is a very large comunity but I think other town have some very good players.

On the deck from I am trying it out at the mo and it is really good fun to play and is insane if your opponent stumbles in any way, not sure what to run at the mo, every deck I test with just seems to maul certain decks and is an auto loss to others (before sideboard)

Ben Titmarsh said:
To be honest, I think the attitude that a lot of people generally hold in London that groups from other towns/cities are "soft" is elitist and just wrong. Everyone has access to the best resource (the internet) for deck design/discussion and people outside London are just as passionate about this game. Going all the way to Newcastle (or anywhere else) because you expect the PTQ to be soft, is just setting yourself up for failure.
This is exactly what i'm finding. I played red deck last weekend expecting lots of Jund, then got paired against White Weenie twice and lost 2-0 each time.

(oh and on the "soft field" thing - i wasn't saying i agree with that view, just that is what i have heard players say. There are plenty of average/bad players and average/bad decks playing in London, just as there are elsewhere!)

Glenn Goldsworthy said:
On the deck from I am trying it out at the mo and it is really good fun to play and is insane if your opponent stumbles in any way, not sure what to run at the mo, every deck I test with just seems to maul certain decks and is an auto loss to others (before sideboard)

Play tap out U/W it's awesome!
Yeah. If someone as bad as mills can qualify the deck must be good.

James Mills said:
Be honest though. Out of these good players from Colchester how many actually come to your regular club nights to play and help others to get better?? I'm guessing not many.

I think that's the difference. In London the better players are often at the club and are willing to help. Pete dunn was one of thes best examples of this.

Glenn Goldsworthy said:
to put this into perspective I was speaking to Gary recently and he suggested he should pop down to colchester and rinse events down there as there wasn't any good players, I then pointed out that at the time we had 2 national champs (rich moore and Dan Gardner) and 1 of our top pro players (mark Glenister). It is a preconception that all the top players are from London, it is a very large comunity but I think other town have some very good players. On the deck from I am trying it out at the mo and it is really good fun to play and is insane if your opponent stumbles in any way, not sure what to run at the mo, every deck I test with just seems to maul certain decks and is an auto loss to others (before sideboard)

Ben Titmarsh said:
To be honest, I think the attitude that a lot of people generally hold in London that groups from other towns/cities are "soft" is elitist and just wrong. Everyone has access to the best resource (the internet) for deck design/discussion and people outside London are just as passionate about this game. Going all the way to Newcastle (or anywhere else) because you expect the PTQ to be soft, is just setting yourself up for failure.
there are many issues with colchester that need to be addressed but if you come down for a monthly event I guarentee you will find it much harder than you give it credit for, weekly is an ongoing issue (it's hugely pricy and at least 3 venues so far have cancelled at short notice which makes players not want to risk the travel)
I think Gary's point is more that there is a divide between the very good players and everyone else. The best players just turn up once a month when there is money/byes/PT place on the line and win it, stay home and make fun of "barns" the rest of the time.

To be honest, there is still some amount of this issue in London, which is something i'm keen to get past, hence suggesting lots of stuff for newer players to Jason recently.
Exactly. I doubt our current national champ is at the club helping people to get better. He is too good at magic to bother with things like that.

I'm not saying Colchester is easy pickings, although you play there :P

Dan Barrett said:
I think Gary's point is more that there is a divide between the very good players and everyone else. The best players just turn up once a month when there is money/byes/PT place on the line and win it, stay home and make fun of "barns" the rest of the time. To be honest, there is still some amount of this issue in London, which is something i'm keen to get past, hence suggesting lots of stuff for newer players to Jason recently.
Well if you want to be the guy who is watching someone draw 6 cards a turn then good luck with that. I can assure you it's more fun being the guy drawing the cards.

Plus you get to play Islands

Gary Lynch said:
Yeah. If someone as bad as mills can qualify the deck must be good.

James Mills said:
colchester has had trouble with sorting out regular events for the last year or so.

when we had regular weekly events a few years ago (in braintree) the skill level was far beyond the london games club. picture sitting down to draft at a table with mark glenister, richard moore, sam gomersall, will turner and nick west at it. the london games club can't even come close to that in terms of skill level.
Meh, old style games club was basically that hard. Its currently filled with lots of players who havent been playing for awhile so its not quite as good. Richard Moore isnt that good, and nick west/will turner are just above average randomers.
welp, i expected sensible contributions from you mr g, but this just seems kinda wrong

nick west's lifetime winnings (bearing in mind he has been out of the game for a number of years) must be at least $20,000...

That Ginger One said:
Meh, old style games club was basically that hard. Its currently filled with lots of players who havent been playing for awhile so its not quite as good. Richard Moore isnt that good, and nick west/will turner are just above average randomers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service