Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

SEE HERE FOR DETAILS

So, what decks do you think will see play at PT Amsterdam?

Gogo kithkin!! :P

Seriously though, I reckon Seismic Swans w/ Treasure Hunt could be a contender, as well as new versions of B/W and G/W tokens, and a URG LD deck.

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like this format. Alot. Its new. Just MAN UP and stop being afraid of it. Had to be said. Most standard formats pre- bbelf were kinda fun really. I prefer this to standard comfortably. So many possibilities... I think every good standard deck since TSP/Lor standard will be playable to some extent.

P.s. Louis, you coming to the club tonight? I have lots of cards to return to you.
Decks I've really liked from last two Extended seasons:

* Elves
* Scapeshift
* Faeries (with Riptide lab)
* Zoo (this is really about 4 or 5 decks ... I like the Ranger version and the Tribal Flames version)
* TEPS
* Martyr of Sands
* Conley Woods' Bant deck at GP Chicago

Also interesting:

* Thopter Depths
* Hypergenesis
* Living End
* Anything with Dark Confidant

Decks I've really liked from the last two Standard seasons:

* Elves
* Maybe Kithkin??

I'm not negative about Extended!

I'm going to complete my conversion to 100% casual player and sell all my rares. Constructed is for noobs. Color printers are for pros. I hate Standard!
:)
Dan- I completely get where you're coming from. Being able to play 2 year old standard decks in new extended will make the format more accessible.

BUT Once a card rotates out of new extended, there's no use for it anymore. As it stands, cards have a life of 4 years before they rotate out of being played.
(Lecacy can never be a ptq format so I'm pretending it doesn't exist)

One of the fun things about extended was that it wasn't (that past tense makes me shudder) like standard. Different formats should be different-Ext was the powerful, yet accessible format. There were dirty combo decks etc.

New extended doesn't look like it'll be that. My impression is that it'll be a more powerful, but still standard like format.
It does now feel as though there's a big gap between ext and legacy. Enough for a format- So I do have high hopes that the Masques+ thing will appear soon.
On the other hand, if that happens, I think there might be too many formats: At the moment there's ext, t2 and limited (block has essentially been dropped). Those account for the 4 ptq seasons we have each year (nats is a pqt season along with NQs)

For whatever reason Wizards has decided for the last two years that two of those seasons should share a format- we play standard twice.

So if we end up with standard, ext, masques+ and limited; and there's still only 3+1 PTs each year, Something has to change, Or one of the formats doesn't get a ptq season.

So the change to extended implies that block is very unlikely to come back soon - I think that's a pity, block can be great fun, varied, and cheap.

New ext leaves a space for masques+ in terms of the formats that exist, but not in terms of seasons in which to play it.

Dan Barrett said:
Amen.

Most players aren't like the people replying to this thread, owning cards way back and having enough for multiple decks in legacy, (old) extended, standard, etc.

For these players, the deck they are playing in standard now, which may have taken them a while to trade/save up for, will still be playable next year (with a few additions) in new extended, and that's a good thing.

I expect attendance will improve a lot, and if that costs us a few tears from Royde, then it's a price we'll have to (grudgingly) pay! :P

Gary Lynch said:
Who cares about the change. In fact its probably a good thing as lots of people dont play extended due to being new and only having standard decks. Now people wont need many more cards for their deck to make it good in extended.
People who do care have a new format that is easier to get into than legacy. Looks like its change for good.
Stop whinging. Decks from TSP/Lor Standard since that were Competative, so should be playable in this format include:

Lark
Fae
Merfolk
BW tokens
Doran
GB elves
Elf combo
Kithkin
Mono Red
Blightning
5c Blood
5c control, now with walkers
Jund
UW(r)
Mythic Consciption
Any 3 colours will have an almost viable midrange deck
Naya zoo
There will be a viable LD deck
Mannequin.
Time sieve w/ pollen lullaby
NLB
Maybe some sort of tezzerator
Boat Brew
Boros Bushwacker
(I want to hybridise these last 2 into something awesome, yet unfair..)

EDIT: Cut the tsp requiring decks as only relevant to me)
Im sure thats not everything. And you are telling me you will enjoy playing 0 of those decks? This game isnt for you Mr. Baker..
Oh no, I've just realised I'll have to re-do my extended pauper deck for the big London event in august. No shenanigans with Wee Dragonauts and Psychotic Fury *sniff*
You're possibly right Charlie. I don't really like Constructed.

We'll see. One advantage to this format (for me) is that I have basically all of the cards for it, unlike Extended.

Overall though, not impressed with this change at all from a quality-of-format perspective

If they care so much about pricing players out of formats they could have done more good by getting rid of Mythic rarity.

We'll see how it goes, I guess.

That Ginger One said:
Stop whinging. Decks from TSP/Lor Standard since that were Competative, so should be playable in this format include:
... snip ... Im sure thats not everything. And you are telling me you will enjoy playing 0 of those decks? This game isnt for you Mr. Baker..
So find a deck and stick with it. I dont like constructed much, as consistent decks are less fun to play than limited decks, but im capable of finding a strategy I like playing and sticking with it. I guarantee you I can find you a deck from that list (wihich im adding too subtly..) that would will enjoy playing if you like any constructed format. I could build you a viable bears with abilities deck if you wanted.. :P
MAN-O-WAR !!!
ohh, Lark, mnemonic wall, DoJ, cryptic...
incremental... advantage... OHHHHHHH

Paul Hodgson said:
This could actualy be a deck. Add Wall of Omens, Jace and its looking pretty sweet against any agro deck.

Paul Hodgson said:
Ill still be larking my muldrifters if thats ok with you :P

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service