Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

Hi guys,

I am looking for suggestion on what standard deck I should play. I am playing in an Standard PTQ, not in England next weekend.

So, what is the best deck at the moment? As most of you know card availability should not be a problem.

HELP

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan are you going to the PTQ in Gravesend? What are you playing?

you can race to spellskite lock (titan turn 3-4 into spellskite turn 4-5 and 5-6) them if they try to wait out beast within g1, or cut them from RR when forced to act by discard, spell pierce is very very poor vs this plan. if they go turn 1 discard, turn 2 mana leak, turn 3 exarch, turn 4 twin you could be in trouble.... but even vs this plan you still have 3 turns to topdeck the beast within

g2 the matchup is possibly a little worse, hence the recommendation to consider act of aggression in addition to the nature's claims. the matchup requires on board presence and the threat of removal (hence spellskite + removal plan md and sb), maxing out on spellskite +2-3 torpor orb is fine too if you are worried (better than nature's claim, but you want that vs steel aggro)

titan for land + eye of ugin guarentees spellskites every turn for the rest of the game
Pete, you have successfully made me want to ptq! ffs.

haha, I like ramp decks, but I don't think I've ever played one... (not since eot sac terramorphic expanse into panglacial wurm into sunhome, hit you 18, gg... *sigh* I'm old...) normally I just say I will play, and then let someone else do it... (although there was that one year with snow ramp when it was good)

the reason ramp is good this season is because of green sun's zenith, it lets you play a lot of accelerators and not run out of action late game. if this card didn't exist the deck would be TERRIBLE. although... whilst on subject of zenith... what do you think about this build:

// Lands
    4 [ROE] Eldrazi Temple
    2 [ARC] Khalni Garden
    3 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
    2 [M11] Mystifying Maze
    14 [P2] Forest (3)
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    2 [SOM] Forest (2)

// Creatures
    4 [M11] Primeval Titan
    2 [SOM] Wall of Tanglecord
    4 [ROE] Overgrown Battlement
    4 [ROE] Joraga Treespeaker
    2 [M11] Fauna Shaman

1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [WWK] Avenger of Zendikar
    1 [MBS] Viridian Corrupter
    2 [NPH] Spellskite

// Spells
    4 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
    2 [ZEN] Summoning Trap
    3 [NPH] Beast Within
    1 [DDD] Garruk Wildspeaker

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [SOM] Wall of Tanglecord
SB: 1 [M11] Fauna Shaman

SB: 3 [ROE] Vengevine
SB: 2 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 1 [ZEN] Summoning Trap
SB: 1 [MBS] Viridian Corrupter
SB: 3 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 1 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 2 [NPH] Karn Liberated

too cute? :P

Peter,

Yours decks look very good, shame I will not get a chance to test them before the PTQ, so I will have to play a deck I have been playing (RDW) and update it for the new cards from NPH.

Any ideas people?

Is RDW really good enough to beat Caw-Blade?

Why too cute?

Gary it is good enough, but it depends on the build and the players!

Good article on RDW today: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=9682

I like the analysis of Caw-Go/Blade/Whatever as basically Jace + Equipment. Deal with the shiny toys and they're left with a bunch of 1/1 and 1/2 dorks which you can arc trail all day long. Shrine seems pretty spicy, giving you a sense of inevitability (Mr Anderson), although it does open you up to the increase in overall levels of artifact hate that's out there.

Paul,

That was an interesting article and the comments were very good. Not quite my list, but close.

Are you playing this weekend?

Paul Hodgson said:

Good article on RDW today: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=9682

I like the analysis of Caw-Go/Blade/Whatever as basically Jace + Equipment. Deal with the shiny toys and they're left with a bunch of 1/1 and 1/2 dorks which you can arc trail all day long. Shrine seems pretty spicy, giving you a sense of inevitability (Mr Anderson), although it does open you up to the increase in overall levels of artifact hate that's out there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service