Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

Hi all,

I just wanted to put something out there -

If I organised this event for next year March, would enough people be interested?

Cube Masters Series 2011


1st Place – Full set of Legacy Dual Lands (Revised)
2nd Place – Full set of Ravnica Shock Lands
3rd Place – Full set of foil Ravnica Karoo lands, foil Alara tri-lands and foil Ravnica signets

Entry Fee:
£12
Cube Masters Series Card:
Foil Mystical Teachings (with Cube Masters Series stamp) for each competitor

Using a 360 card fully-powered Cube, competitors will battle it out for a full set of Legacy Dual Lands through a series of sealed and draft tournament Qualifiers and a Main Event!

If you don't know what a cube is, go here immediately: http://www.cubedrafting.com/what-is-the-cube/

Qualifiers


Prior to the main event, four 8-man qualifying drafts will be played. The top four of each draft will qualify for the main event.

Qualifier Rules

 
  • Three 15 card ‘booster pack’ draft
  • Draft pools must be registered.
  • MTG Swiss Draft rules apply, except for deck registration restrictions (players may change their decks between games and rounds)
  • Three Swiss rounds of play


Main Event

2x Top 8 Qualifier
s


  • Cube Sealed event (60 cards per player, from a total pool of 480)
  • 120 card 'Cube Reserve List' will be added to the 360 Cube for this event
  • Sealed pools must be registered
  • MTG Sealed tournament rules apply, except for deck registration restrictions (players may change their decks between games and rounds)
  • Five rounds of play, after which the tournament will cut to top 8

Top 8 Final Knock-Out Event


  • Three 15 card ‘booster pack’ draft
  • Draft pools and decklists must be registered
  • MTG  Knockout Draft rules apply, including deck registration restrictions
  • 3 round knock-out


Notes


  • The same 360 card full-powered cube will be used for each event
  • The final Cube Card List will be publicly released 1 week prior to qualifiers
  • Anyone can participate in this non-sanctioned event
  • Entry Fees are used to pay for prizes, judges and venue costs only

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would also like to participate - just to show you all how crap I am at cube!
I think having a smaller sealed pool is better with the power of your cube.

tbh, I think I'd rather have the money, rather than starcitygames and mike both getting money for being the middlemen
So you mean rather not have a sponsor?

I think 60 cards a player seems about right (after adding a 120 card 'reserve' list) - what do you think Rob?

Amidu said:
I think having a smaller sealed pool is better with the power of your cube.

tbh, I think I'd rather have the money, rather than starcitygames and mike both getting money for being the middlemen
60 seems fine

what are you getting out of having the prize in a less liquid form?


Warren Vonk said:
So you mean rather not have a sponsor?

I think 60 cards a player seems about right (after adding a 120 card 'reserve' list) - what do you think Rob?

Amidu said:
I think having a smaller sealed pool is better with the power of your cube.

tbh, I think I'd rather have the money, rather than starcitygames and mike both getting money for being the middlemen
Oh right, you'd rather have cash prizes than card prizes?

I guess this will come down to if those playing would rather have cards or cash. Cube cards as prizes kinda fits the theme of the event, but I can see where cash might be even more attractive for competitors.

Amidu said:
60 seems fine

what are you getting out of having the prize in a less liquid form?


Warren Vonk said:
So you mean rather not have a sponsor?

I think 60 cards a player seems about right (after adding a 120 card 'reserve' list) - what do you think Rob?

Amidu said:
I think having a smaller sealed pool is better with the power of your cube.

tbh, I think I'd rather have the money, rather than starcitygames and mike both getting money for being the middlemen
Rob just wants money because he is rob....
money can buy the same amount of cards, but the cards cant get me the same amount of money



That Ginger One said:
Rob just wants money because he is rob....
This sounds fun.
If it's a case of using the 'would be prize money' on buying cards to have as prizes, then Rob is right, it's definitely better to just do cash prizes.



Amidu said:
money can buy the same amount of cards, but the cards cant get me the same amount of money



That Ginger One said:
Rob just wants money because he is rob....
I understand that Rob needs coins for weed, but (special) cards as prizes means a lot more. And I don't think this tournament is about winning money, but about showing off the brilliant cube format.

For instance, I still have a playset of Pox I won in my first Legacy tournament. £5 or whatever they were worth at the time would have been forgotten quickly and mean nothing.
I agree with Dan, I would actually prefer some special cards to be honest, don't get me wrong I like money but it isn't really what it's about
I agree with this. Special cards > cash-money. And if the winner wants money, they can just sell the cards.

This series is about playing Magic in its purest form, with the most powerful cards ever printed - its about giving people the opportunity to once again play with their favourite cards, and to experience insane combinations they otherwise would never have encountered before.

My only concern is getting people to actually show for the qualifiers. It will be a shame to organise a qualifier for a Saturday, and then only 5 players show up.

I'm thinking about perhaps doing this:

If you sign-up to the tournament, you pay upfront. If you miss your qualifier, tough luck. Regardless of the reasons why you missed it, I still need to pay for prizes!

Would this turn people away?



Glenn Goldsworthy said:
I agree with Dan, I would actually prefer some special cards to be honest, don't get me wrong I like money but it isn't really what it's about

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service