Dark Sphere Legacy event (win 4 x Volcanic Island) and others

Just a heads up to fans of the Eternal format:

Time & Date: 12pm Saturday 19th November 2011
Prizes:
1st place: 4 x Volcanic Island
2nd place: 2 x Wasteland
3rd place: 4 x Black Bordered Swords to Plowshares

4th place: 4 x Black Bordered Brainstorm

Decklists, appropriate tokens, etc will be required. No Proxies. Entry £15 . Pre-booking recommended.

This is the first of what we hope will be many large scale Legacy events in London. Future prizes can change in the future according to feedback, and nothing is out of the question (incl. power). Frequency of events is flexible and will be gauged on the success of this tournament. We hope that you can spread word and help us create a friendly competetive (and most importantly, stable) Legacy environment in London.

We are commencing a fortnightly Legacy championship which is £5 entry fee into a grand prize pool at the end of the season. Full proxies are allowed to provide the best testing environment. Full details are available here at http://www.darksphere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=259

In addition to this we're looking to start weekly Standard events on Thursdays with the usual Booster pool prizes. More info will be released soon as we release an updated calendar to cover the Christmas period.

Tournament prizes are subject to change but will be confirmed well before the arranged date.

Cheers all,

Mark Gunther

Views: 1065

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice. Shame I can't be there, but would definitely come for the upcoming ones.
this sounds amazing! nice work dudes. now i need to figure out if my deck survives without Misstep...

Thanks for the positive feedback.

We can now also confirm a Modern tournament on the 12th November with top prizes likely to be 4 x Rav duals and 2nd/3rd prizes around 1 x Thoughtseize or similar.

We also have confirmed Standard events (with regular booster prize pool) every Thursday. All this new info will be released in it;s own post soon with extra details.

I've been crying about having ZERO constructed events in LONDON CITY (you know, top 3 cities in the world??) for years now.

FINALLY someone is taking up the mantle!!

I thank and salute you.

I will be at both events no questions asked.

Warren, The Games Club have been running monthly constructed events for years! First Saturday of every month.

Warren Vonk said:

I've been crying about having ZERO constructed events in LONDON CITY (you know, top 3 cities in the world??) for years now.

I thank and salute you.

Once a month... with little to no prize support... to which hardly anyone bothers to show up. Let's be honest it's not exactly the best constructed support in the world, no?

I'm just saying it's nice to see constructed getting more love with proper prize support and an exciting 'big money' event to actually look forward to!

Jason Savage said:

Warren, The Games Club have been running monthly constructed events for years! First Saturday of every month.

Warren Vonk said:

I thank and salute you.

A lot of that is a self-fulfilling prophecy though, Warren - We say no one turns up and the prize support is bad, so no one turns up and the prize support is never improved.

i am definitely on warren and darksphere's side here. aren't the monthly events that tgc runs just a whole bunch of 8-mans? 

honestly, which of these is more enticing:

"come and play legacy/modern, winner gets [insert prize]!"

versus

"come and play some 8-man queues of whatever format people have decks for. you also win some product!"

dudes you get a certificate at the games club, but I'm not entirely sure this is Jason's fault, has anyone gone to Jason and said what about running constructed events with a slightly elevated cost and improved prizes, I suspect no as I am sure Jason would have tried this at least twice to gauge opinion.

If I could be bothered I would definately go the the dark sphere event though, the prizes sounds awesome

Yes, the Legacy lads have approached Jason time and again about running slightly larger tournaments, but the discussion never gets off the ground. Jason is willing to hold the events, but wants someone else to put all the work in, including getting the prize support in and insuring numbers of players, which is something you can never do. I have to say that Dark Sphere stepping up and actually being the TO for these events, rather than some random you have never hear of sounds much better to me.

Glenn Goldsworthy said:

dudes you get a certificate at the games club, but I'm not entirely sure this is Jason's fault, has anyone gone to Jason and said what about running constructed events with a slightly elevated cost and improved prizes, I suspect no as I am sure Jason would have tried this at least twice to gauge opinion.

If I could be bothered I would definately go the the dark sphere event though, the prizes sounds awesome

I think the real test is whether it continues as a regular thing - it's easy to get players excited one time with big prizes and not care if you make a loss, but for it to work on a regular basis, enough players have to be enticed to turn up for it to be worthwhile for the TO also.

Which sounds like quite the challenge - you have to remember how lazy and fickle most Magic players are, usually only 50-70% of those that say they will turn up to something do, etc.

I definitely intend to play in both of darkspheres big november constructed tournaments. just need to find someone who would like to lend me duals so that i can give monoblue a break...

ps dan come to the modern tournament and you can see my sweet 88% foil constructed deck!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service