Demonic Tutor

Magic: the Gathering in the UK

Hello,

Just wanted to let you guys know about two events we've scheduled!

National Qualifier - Saturday 9th April

The format is Standard and will be based on Swiss Pairing, the top X (where X is one for each full 8 that enrolled) will be qualified for Nationals! 

The event is being held at Hennessey's (near Aldgate tube station) where we have hired the whole venue especially for the occasion. 

Places are limited and can be bought from the website or from our London shop. Prices are £15 and includes a light buffet lunch and a two booster per person prize pool. There will also be side games. 

London Grand Prix Trial -  Sunday 17th April

The format is Sealed and will be based on Swiss Pairing followed by a top single elimination 

Places are limited and can be bought from the website or from our London shop. Prices are £32 and includes a two booster per person prize pool. 

Tournament begins at 12

Any questions then please give us a ring (0207 928 7220), email us via our contact form (this is going to be revamped in the next version of the site) or pop in and see us (find us)

Tickets available from our website

Best wishes,

The Dark Sphere Team

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What did you hear?

Philip Rogers said:
So what went wrong at the NQ?

Apparently the venue was closed by police?

Also the venue was too small - would not attend another tournament at the same pub, and £5 for that buffet was pretty overpriced, especially when it was non-optional

The cost of the buffet was actually £6 per head to us and we booked in food for more people than we had attending to try and make sure there was enough (it didn't help that most people booked either the day before or just showed up on the day). As the owner pointed out, there were several people that piled up two plates just for themselves and their selfishness meant that some of the people at the end of the queue didn't get much until the second round of food arrived.  A number of the players actually said they really enjoyed the buffet and thought it was great but we did feel that there wasn't quite enough food so we went out and bought extra cake, biscuits and crisps to make up for it. I think for the next one we'll aim not to have a buffet as it causes too many headaches!  

As for the police thing, well I have no idea if anything happened much later in the evening but the last magic players left about 10 and there was absolutely no problems at any point while we were there so I think someone's pulling your leg!   I really can't imagine the Metropolitan police ever closing down a Magic event ! 

I have heard that the police closed the pub from two people now, but no details!

Dark Sphere said:

The cost of the buffet was actually £6 per head to us and we booked in food for more people than we had attending to try and make sure there was enough (it didn't help that most people booked either the day before or just showed up on the day). As the owner pointed out, there were several people that piled up two plates just for themselves and their selfishness meant that some of the people at the end of the queue didn't get much until the second round of food arrived.  A number of the players actually said they really enjoyed the buffet and thought it was great but we did feel that there wasn't quite enough food so we went out and bought extra cake, biscuits and crisps to make up for it. I think for the next one we'll aim not to have a buffet as it causes too many headaches!  

As for the police thing, well I have no idea if anything happened much later in the evening but the last magic players left about 10 and there was absolutely no problems at any point while we were there so I think someone's pulling your leg!   I really can't imagine the Metropolitan police ever closing down a Magic event ! 

Well if you ever get any details let me know but I think you should take it with a massive dose of sodium chloride...

Perhaps it was Mills time....

Jason Savage said:
I have heard that the police closed the pub from two people now, but no details!

Dark Sphere said:

Fair play for having the guts to try something different. It can be really annoying some times when your in a magic tournament and there is nowhere to go get something to eat between rounds.

Now days if I dont know the venue I play it safe with a 2 liter bottle of coke and a tub of pringles :)

Dark Sphere said:

Also how many players/ slots where there and who Q'ed?

I do not touch salt myself!

The other person who told mentioned it was there when the police turned up. Now no one has said as to do with your running of the event.

Dark Sphere said:

Well if you ever get any details let me know but I think you should take it with a massive dose of sodium chloride...

right then clown shoes - what happened was that me Mills, Tim and Phil went to hamilton hall at liv st and that was closed when we were there due to footy fans.  As for the venue I wouldn't say it was ideal, but I would also guess that this was your first decently sized event and there were a few tething problems but as with anything you learn from the mistakes.

As for the buffet that was not as bad as Dan makes, out I thought it was better than just having fast food for about the same price.

4 slots I q'd

Well done Glenn on the Q!

Hamilton hall is always getting closed, the police station is across the road!

Glenn Goldsworthy said:

right then clown shoes - what happened was that me Mills, Tim and Phil went to hamilton hall at liv st and that was closed when we were there due to footy fans.  As for the venue I wouldn't say it was ideal, but I would also guess that this was your first decently sized event and there were a few tething problems but as with anything you learn from the mistakes.

As for the buffet that was not as bad as Dan makes, out I thought it was better than just having fast food for about the same price.

4 slots I q'd

Ah that makes much more sense, thanks for clearing that up Glenn! 

This was indeed our first NQ and in fact it was our first ever competitive level event and I think we learnt a lot and will be able to use that experience to improve future NQ's and other similar events! 

:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Thomas David Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service